Dear Everyday Church,
It was great to gather together yesterday for the last of our Five Habits of a Healthy Christian, and I do hope that you enjoy the last week of Everyday Devotions between now and Sunday. As you are hopefully aware, we are following up the series with a Week of Prayer and Fasting from Sunday 9th February to Saturday 15th February. If you missed the dates of our prayer gatherings at your own venue, just ask your Life Group Leader or another friend. I’m writing this blog to give you a list of suggested prayer points for each day so that you can also pray at home on your own, with friends and family, and with anybody else who is willing to pray with you!
Sunday 9th February – Prayer for breakthrough in the WORD of God
– Pray that God will grant you and your friends at Everyday Church a real hunger for his Word. “Man does not live on bread alone, but on every word that comes from the mouth of God.” (Matthew 4:4)
– Pray that God will help you and your friends to follow through on that hunger. “I delight in your decrees; I will not neglect your word.” (Psalm 119:16)
– Pray that God will help you and your friends to discover amazing truth when you read God’s Word. “Open my eyes that I may see wonderful things in your law.” (Psalm 119:18) “Call to me and I will answer you and tell you great and unsearchable things you do not know.” (Jeremiah 33:3)
– Pray that God will help you and your friends to submit to God’s Word, rather than fighting it. “Speak, Lord, for your servant is listening.” (1 Samuel 3:9)
Monday 10th February – Prayer for breakthrough in PRAYER
– Pray that God will grant you and your friends at Everyday Church a deep desire to pray. “My heart says of you, ‘Seek his face!’ Your face, Lord, I will seek.” (Psalm 27:8)
– Pray that God will help you and your friends to follow through on that deep desire. “Jesus often withdrew to lonely places and prayed.” (Luke 5:16) “He returned to his disciples and found them sleeping. ‘Could you men not keep watch with me? … The spirit is willing, but the flesh is weak.’” (Matthew 26:40-41)
– Pray that God will help you and your friends to learn helpful pathways for prayer. “One day Jesus was praying in a certain place. When he finished, one of his disciples said to him, ‘Lord, teach us to pray, just as John taught his disciples.’ He said to them, ‘When you pray, say: “Father, hallowed be your name, your kingdom come.”’” (Luke 11:1-2)
– Pray that God will give you swift answers to prayer that encourage you to keep on praying more. “Isaac prayed to the Lord … The Lord answered his prayer.” (Genesis 25:21) “I will do whatever you ask in my name, so that the Son may bring glory to the Father.” (John 14:13)
Tuesday 11th February – Prayer for breakthrough in WORSHIP
– Pray that God will grant you and your friends at Everyday Church a passion to worship him. “As the deer pants for streams of water, so my soul pants for you, O God. My soul thirsts for God, for the living God. When can I go and meet with God?” (Psalm 42:1-2) “I rejoiced with those who said to me, ‘Let us go to the house of the Lord.’” (Psalm 122:1)
– Pray that God will strengthen you to follow through on your desire to worship him. “I pray that out of his glorious riches he may strengthen you with power through his Spirit in your inner being.” (Ephesians 3:16) “God is spirit, and his worshippers must worship in the Spirit and in truth.” (John 4:24)
– Pray that God will make our personal and corporate worship times real moments of encounter. “Seek the Lord and his strength; seek his presence continually.” (1 Chronicles 16:11) “If an unbeliever or someone who does not understand comes in … he will fall down and worship God, exclaiming, ‘God is really among you!’” (1 Corinthians 14:24-25)
– Pray that God will make our worship times real moments of breakthrough. “You are holy, you who are enthroned on the praises of Israel.” (Psalm 22:3) “As they began to sing and praise, the Lord set ambushes against the men of Ammon and Moab and Mount Seir who were invading Judah, and they were defeated.” (2 Chronicles 20:22)
Wednesday 12th February – Prayer for breakthrough in the HOLY SPIRIT
– Pray that God will help you and your friends at Everyday Church to grasp what it truly means to have God living inside you through his Holy Spirit “He who unites himself with the Lord is one with him in Spirit.” (1 Corinthians 6:17) “God has commissioned me to present to you the word of God in its fullness – the mystery that has been kept hidden for ages and generations … which is Christ in you, the hope of glory.” (Colossians 1:25-27)
– Pray that God will increase you and your friends’ experience of the Holy Spirit. “I pray that out of his glorious riches he may strengthen you with power through his Spirit in your inner being.” (Ephesians 3:16) “Go on being filled with the Holy Spirit.” (Ephesians 5:18)
– Pray that God will respond as you surrender fully to him, causing his Holy Spirit to overflow into every area of your life. “Jesus stood and said in a loud voice, ‘Let anyone who is thirsty come to me and drink. Whoever believes in me, as Scripture has said, rivers of living water will flow out from within them.’ By this he meant the Spirit.” (John 7:37-39) “God gives the Spirit without limit.” (John 3:34)
– Pray that God will grow you in the fruit of the Spirit and in the gifts of the Spirit. “The fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self- control … Those who belong to Christ Jesus have crucified the flesh with its passions and desires. Since we live by the Spirit, let us keep in step with the Spirit.” (Galatians 5:22-25) “Now about the gifts of the Spirit, brothers and sisters, I do not want you to be uninformed … To one there is given through the Spirit a message of wisdom, to another a message of knowledge by means of the same Spirit, to another faith by the same Spirit, to another gifts of healing by that one Spirit, to another miraculous powers, to another prophecy, to another distinguishing between spirits, to another speaking in different kinds of tongues, and to still another the interpretation of tongues. All these are the work of one and the same Spirit, and he distributes them to each one, just as he determines.” (1 Corinthians 12:1-11)
Thursday 13th February – Prayer for the Holy Spirit to OVERFLOW to those around us
– Pray for it to be obvious to all those around you and your friends at Everyday Church that God lives inside you through his Holy Spirit. “God … was pleased to reveal his Son in me … They glorified God in me.” (Galatians 1:16-24, literal translation)
– Pray that God will cause his Spirit in you to overflow into their lives as well. “Jesus stood and said in a loud voice, ‘Let anyone who is thirsty come to me and drink. Whoever believes in me, as Scripture has said, rivers of living water will flow out from within them.’ By this he meant the Spirit.” (John 7:37-39)
– Pray that God will make you and your friends powerful witnesses to those around you. “You will receive power when the Holy Spirit comes on you; and you will be my witnesses in Jerusalem, and in all Judea and Samaria, and to the ends of the earth.” (Acts 1:8)
– Pray that God will use you and your friends to demonstrate the good news as well as proclaim it. “When the crowds heard Philip and saw the signs he performed, they all paid close attention to what he said. For with shrieks, impure spirits came out of many, and many who were paralysed or lame were healed. So there was great joy in that city.” (Acts 8:6-8)
Friday 14th February – Prayer for the next generation in all of this
– Pray for our children, teenagers and twenties to exceed their parents in knowing God. “After that whole generation had been gathered to their fathers, another generation grew up, who knew neither the Lord nor what he had done for Israel.” (Judges 2:10) “One generation will commend your works to another; they will tell of your mighty acts.” (Psalm 145:4)
– Pray that our children, teenagers and twenties will defy the pessimistic predictions over them. “Goliath looked David over and saw that he was only a boy, ruddy and handsome, and he despised him.” (1 Samuel 17:42) “From the lips of children and infants you have ordained praise because of your enemies, to silence the foe and the avenger.” (Psalm 8:2)
– Pray that our children, teenagers and twenties will be strong in both Word and Spirit. “From infancy you have known the holy Scriptures, which are able to make you wise for salvation through faith in Christ Jesus.” (2 Timothy 3:15) “‘In the last days, God says, I will pour out my Spirit on all people. Your sons and daughters will prophesy, your young men will see visions’ … The promise is for you and your children and for all who are far off – for all whom the Lord our God will call.” (Acts 2:17&39)
– Pray that our children, teenagers and twenties will be evangelistically very fruitful. “Now bands from Aram had gone out and had taken captive a young girl from Israel, and she served Naaman’s wife. She said to her mistress, ‘If only my master would see the prophet who is in Samaria! He would cure him of his leprosy.’” (2 Kings 5:2-3) ”Though you were ruined and made desolate and your land laid waste, now you will be too small for your people, and those who devoured you will be far away. The children born during your bereavement will yet say in your hearing, ‘This place is too small for us; give us more space to live in.’” (Isaiah 49:19-20)
Saturday 15th February – Putting it all together
Having prayed for these six areas throughout the week, spend the last day putting it all together.
– Pray for you and your friends at Everyday Church to grow in the WORD of God.
– Pray for you and your friends at Everyday Church to grow in PRAYER to God.
– Pray for you and your friends at Everyday Church to grow in WORSHIPPING God.
– Pray for you and your friends at Everyday Church to grow in the SPIRIT of God.
– Pray for you and your friends at Everyday Church to OVERFLOW with the Spirit of God.
– Pray for our children, teenagers and twenties to exceed their parents in all of this.
A massive thank you in advance for all your prayers next week. We have an amazing God who answers our prayers!
Phil Moore – Lead Pastor of Everyday Church